Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Big Date and How it Happened

Let me give you some background (for those who haven't heard this story yet). I just moved back to my home state after being gone for 11 years. I felt that it was a good move for my kids and I. While in the process of trying to find a home, I ran into a guy that I sort of went to school with. I say sort of because he is older than I am and we missed each other in high school. He graduated before I got there. I recognized him however when I saw him. By chance I ran into him on the weekend (he lives around the corner from my friends) and he remembered my last name (maiden name). Apparently he and my brother were friends in elementary school. We talked and I discovered that he was divorced and I told him I was in the process of divorcing. At the end of this conversation he said, "We should stay in touch". Okay, I responded, not really knowing what this means. What does it mean? I still don't know.

After a few weeks went by and I finally moved back I ran into him again. Here's where it gets interesting. He lives near friends and I see him occasionally on my way to their home. One Saturday I saw him and he did the come here wave. I honestly couldn't decide whether I should pull over, part of me wanted to just wave and pretend like I didn't know what he meant another part thought what have I got lose. I pulled over and we made small talk for a minute then he said, "So, when is your divorce final?" Wow! How's that for direct? I told him it would be in a couple weeks. He then told me that he would like to take me out after it was final. Okay, and here is where I got dumb. He asked me for my number. I said Uh, sure, but it's long distance. It's okay he said (pause) I have a cell phone. He said this while he was pulling the cell phone out and typing my name in. Now, wait for it...I say Oh, is that your cell phone? Okay really, whose cell phone would it be - the neighbors? I really need some practice with this. Then I say nice cell phone. What! Where did that come from? I say some really stupid things when I am nervous. I give him my number and I make my get away. A few minutes later I get a text from him that says - here's is my number so you know who is calling. Oh, yeah. Was I supposed to ask for his number? I don't know? I still don't know, but it is nice to know who is calling you. Then panic sets in am I supposed to respond? Do I say thanks, do I ignore him, do I say I'm looking forward to our date? I hate texting. I do not know how to respond. I am frantically calling my friends for advice. After consulting a my friend (whose advice is to keep it simple) I respond with Thanks. I got it. I think this is a good approach with most things - Keep is simple. I will have to log that for future encounters.

Fast forward to the big date. Friday night, no kids, no curfew (yes the last time I dated I had a curfew). My parents are both recently deceased and so I really don't have anyone to even call to confirm I made it home safely. I decide to just meet him at his house. It seems easier and then I also can make a quick get away should I need to.

The plan was to go to dinner. My date, I think I will call him George started off by saying I looked nice. Always good to hear. We left for the restaurant, he is easy to talk to, we have a lot in common and he is cute. Good, good and good. Dinner is yummy, conversation still going well. He asks if I would like to go to a movie. I say that would be fun, but the offer feels like had the date been going bad we would just be going home. Truthfully, I can't blame George. It really is smart to kind of hold off on making firm plans, just in case. Point for him. We go over to the theater and the movie is sold out. Who would have thought that The Planet Earth movie would be sold out. Now what? Well, by default we ended up at his house. I know there is story in there, but not really interesting enough to explain.

George has recently finished his basement and created a theater room. Why not? Well we decide on The Count of Monte Cristo (I love this movie, one of my favorites and his too). Part way through the movie I start giggling. Why? It finally dawns on me. I am alone in a house with a man. Oh my! I have only been on dates where if you ended up at their house they had parental patrol. Yes. Parents who would flick the light on and off or would be walking around (noisily) upstairs. You knew that at any moment they could come downstairs. George asks me what is wrong? The movie we are watching isn't really humorous. I tell him what I am thinking, you know about being in a house alone, no parents, no kids. It's kind of awkward not having parents here. Yes, but we are the parents now. Okay. But still awkward.

I survive the show it's over and George is going over to turn the DVD off. I spring off the couch and head for the door. I sort of run upstairs where for some reason all the lights are off. What? How do I find my way out. George is coming up the stairs and starts turning on a light so we can see. I head for the front door. George is there trying to unlock the door. I am trying to avert my eyes so there is no direct eye contact. I can't exactly say why eye contact would be bad, but I can't bring myself to actually look at him. My heart is racing, I totally have the butterflies in ths stomach and I am rocking back and forth like a little kid. Okay, now what? I am laughing again (nervous habit). What, he asks. This is awkward. He responded by saying it doesn't have to be. Right! It still is awkward. He opens the door and I bound outside into freedom. I am thanking him as I go, thinking this will be the end of the date. No, not to be. He walks me to my car. Which really he should it is the nice thing to do. We are on the driveway heading for the car walking side by side and he kind of reaches over and pats my back. I don't know how to respond to this. Do I reciprocate? Do I ignore it? I am totally clueless and horrible at this. I finally give a little pat of my own. Ugh! Did I really do that it feels so much like giving a little kid a pat on the head. We stop at the back of my car and each take a turn saying that we had a nice night. He asks if I would like to go out again. Yes. I reply. Okay. Good night. I turn and leave. I get in the car and start it up and look at the clock it is only 11:30 p.m. Wow! I stayed out later in high school. I had no curfew, no one checking up on me and still I make it home before midnight.

My mom always said that nothing good happens after midnight. I guess I am still an obedient girl. I can't escape the rules that were given as a teenager. I think this is probably a good thing. Although the other advice my mom gave was she always kissed on a first date, because she said how do know if you want to go out again. Apparently there is no point unless they are a good kisser. What do you think?

Shirley

2 comments:

Rebecca Pierce said...

you probably already know that if i could go back in time, i wouldn't require a date for a kiss. Not that i'd be easy, i'd just kiss if i wanted a kiss and run the other way if i didn't. don't forget, i'm the same girl who felt free to proclaim "i love myself too" the first time a boy said the "l" word. still, life is too short not to kiss a few guys just for the sake of kissing. kissing is wonderful. i can't wait until you post about your first kiss. BTW...nice cell phone.

marissa said...

I'm crying from laughing so hard.....the funny things that come out of your mouth when you are nervous! I love it. Keep it coming.