Thursday, May 21, 2009

High School Reunion Roster

Ok - So the few potential lines I mentioned earlier mainly include guys I went to high school with (this is in addition to Lenny). I'll do a quick list and give them names just in case there is anything that comes of it down the road. However, at the rate they have all been moving, I wouldn't hold my breath. Like I said...stagnant.

__________________

Let's start with Chuck (I know, we need to get better at names). Chuck was my Jr. Prom date. Chuck and I wrote for a bit while on his church mission. I designed Chuck's farewell program and even played the piano for him. For some reason we stopped writing and that was that.

When my life turned upside down and I was giving Shirley the initial download in between sobs, she totally made me laugh by saying..."you know, Chuck is still single." That comment gave me the first spark of "hope for the future" thinking.

When I decided I was ready to get out there, Shirley made a call, which initiated another call directly to his mother. The intent was to get the scoop on Chuck's current situation. However, instead of his mother picking up the phone, it was Chuck himself. Ya. Awkward. Because he recognized the voice on the other end (thank you brave friend - you know who you are!) the conversation was short and ended with her getting Chuck's number for me to call. Nothing like a great Jr. High moment to kick things off.

However, you can call me old fashioned, or just plain chicken, but I am not comfortable AT ALL with calling boys. Or men. Especially in this situation. I'll make it easy on any guy who calls me knowing how brave they had to be to take that initial step - but I won't be the one to start. I just don't have it in me. Yet. Or ever.

Since neither of us called, let's fast forward to a month ago when Shirley needed some house repairs and Chuck happened to specialize in them. So, being the go-get-him friend she is, she called him up and made an appointment for his services (yes - I do know how that sounds). He showed up and according to her, is still looking good and not as shy as we remember him. During that visit, and the follow up appointment, she made a point of mentioning me as often as she could (but couldn't come up with a smooth plan to get a pic, though not for lack of trying). I can only imagine what he thinks. She also got the scoop on his recent break-up with someone he had been considering marrying. But, since that didn't work out, he's now "available" again. In true form, she promptly invited him to her house warming party next month. He accepted and said he'd be there. Of course I'll be there too. Now...what to wear??

__________________

Next, there is Scott. Scott and I "went out" in Jr. High - which equates to a bunch of note passing and blanket sharing at one or two school games. Seriously. That was it. However, we remained friends all through high school and even went to one dance together. He has been divorced for a couple of years and has two children. We hooked up over Face Book (yes, I'll admit to it) and have had a number of conversations...in every way but TALKING!!! He will text, email, and IM me - and has done so for a couple of months now. (We started by passing notes, and are still doing it, just digitally now!)

Scott and I exchanged phone numbers over IM (very awkward circumstances) and have "talked" about going to lunch once (again, over IM and very awkward). He ended up having to cancel because of a late meeting. Hmm. I've been told that he is terribly gun shy after his experience and doesn't date much (or at all). However, I think I just need to take a line from "He's Just Not That Into You" and remove any expectations. I will admit that it would be fun to "practice" dating again with an old friend, but not with someone who feels obligated. So, if he passes me another note, I might consider passing one back - but nothing more. And if he is just terribly shy, then we're doomed. Like I said, I'm not calling.

__________________

Last there is Pete. Pete also took me to Jr. Prom, but as a sophomore. He showed up in black Converse high tops with his tux. Very funny. Pretty cute guy too. Looks just the same. I only mention him because it has been interesting running into some of the single guys from HS, and they all seem to have been someone I went to a dance with. However, a friend who sees him at certain family events said she wanted to set us up and gave him a call (ended up just leaving a message but mentioning my name).

The very next day his FB status went from "single" to "in a relationship" which was very funny. Apparently he has started dating someone and brought her to the most recent family event (which was the same night my friend left the message...do you think they were together and the girlfriend heard it? Hmm. Funny.) Who knows if anything will come of this connection. Either way, worth listing because of the Converse. And message. You gotta love awkward.

Laverne

No comments: