Friday, July 2, 2010

My semi-blind date next week

During a night out with the ladies I serve with in my ward, I mentioned that I'm open to being set up and that they should all keep their eyes open for me. I also clarified that he doesn't have to be perfect (I'm far from it) and that even a night out gives me a chance to network (I know, so business like) because everyone has friends, cousins, neighbors, etc. Plus, a fun guy may not be a love match for me, but someone great to include in our group because, in reverse, I know many other cute, single girls as well.

That said, one girl mentioned a friend of her husbands who is divorced, has 4 children, and is a great guy - just had some bad luck. Let's call him Lyle. She reluctantly mentioned that he has been divorced a few years, but has also been married/divorced a 2nd time (apparently a rather quick event) because shortly after the wedding his new wife disclosed her "multiple personality disorder" and only pretended to like his children. Wow. I wasn't sure how to respond.

The next day I received a call from Lyle. Unfortunately he called on my home phone (which only ward members and solicitors use). My friend had my cell phone number which she normally used so I guess I assumed that is the one she would pass on. Lyle started a little hesitant and introduced himself, which unfortunately played into the "I'm getting ready to sell you something" speech I was expecting. I am not totally rude to solicitors, but I'm definitely not using my patient voice. Poor guy.

Once he clarified that my friend told him about me, and said that he should give me a call, I quickly switched gears and tried to sound a bit more welcoming. After that, he was quite nice over the phone and even admitted he was a bit nervous. I told him he gets all the credit for having the guts to make a call like this and that I appreciated it. We talked for a minute and discussed going out next week (both being busy over the holiday weekend). He said he'll call on Monday to set a date and looked forward to talking more then.

We'll see if I didn't totally scare him away and if I actually get a call next week.

I titled this post "semi-blind" because after getting his first and last name, I'll admit to jumping on FaceBook just in case he was there. Yep. He's there. And, as mentioned in my earlier post about "how to have an awesome blind date," I'm going to look forward to enjoying a night out with no expectations. As it should be. At least I now have a phone that will also lend to "spicing things up with tech" if needed.

Poor Lyle already got my "not interested voice." At least now I can be prepared with my game face and try to make it a fun night for both of us.

Keep 'em coming ladies!

Laverne

No comments: