Saturday, July 17, 2010

A Hobbit, Yogurt, A Piano and A Lie

Two dates in one night...sounds like it could be interesting and possibly even fun? Oh no, think again. It's fun to write about and read about, just not fun to experience.


My first date...hmmm...the good news is I got to have frozen yogurt. And to be honest he was nice. He memorizes personality tests because he said sometimes it's hard to keep the conversation going. The problem? His online profile said he was 5' 8". I am a solid 5'5". I did have my two inch heels on, but so did he, and I was still five inches taller than he was. As we were leaving he climbed up into his truck to drive away. His truck wasn't a truck that has lifts. Just a regular truck . I wanted to ask if he needed a boost. Thankfully it was only an hour of my life.


Never fear...on to the next date. The good news here? I got to go to a concert of a musician that I really do like. Since it was a concert you can't really talk during and I hid out in the bathroom during the intermission. Actually I hid in a stall and sent text messages to my friends. I actually sent a message to Laverne to ask her to save me. Which she did!


Date 2: online profile says he is 40. He looked older. He asked me to tell him something exciting. What? Like what? You know something that you find exciting? This question could have been fine coming from someone else, but I got a serious unsavory vibe from him. I have no idea where this conversation is going so I change the subject and ask about his family. He has four kids. When he asks about what I do for fun. I tell him I like to do things with my friends. I am told that he doesn't really have any friends. "My ex kept them all - now I don't get to do things with them". I don't want to know why he got divorced. He made some strange comments about money and then was asking super personal questions that made me uncomfortable - which is why I ended up in the bathroom sending text messages to Laverne begging her to get me out of this date. That's where the lie came in. I don't condone lying, but in this case, I feel it was necessary. I left in a hurry and thankfully without having to make physical contact with Date #2.


What am I learning from all of this? At first I admit I was depressed and a little dismayed at the state of my dating life. While I was driving in my car I started listening to a past conference talk of Elder Uchtdorf when he discussed having Hope. Last night I felt pretty hopeless, but today I am feeling a bit better. At first I wanted to crawl into bed and never come out. However, I think I may have a few possible fun dates lined up and I am still trying to get out and meet new people. My expectations remain low...but are filled with HOPE!


Shirley

No comments: