I loved that she was very clear about dating vs. hanging out. They are not the same. (Chuck - were you listening?) And that men and women both play different roles in the process. In order to be successful, you each have to play your part.
A few other items to note:
- Make a top 10 list of traits you want your future partner to have. The top 5 items are something the person should already possess (and should never be compromised). Items 6-10 can be a work in progress.
- Don't give the best of you to those who don't invest in you.
- Continue dating. Don't get "exclusive" too soon. Keep your options open.
- Act in Faith not Fear - if you do your part He will do His.
- Remember the 1/3 rd vs. 2/3rd rule: There are more good men/women than jerks and hags. If all you see are the bad ones change your focus.
- Tell yourself they're just practice. Don't let someone else define how you feel about yourself.
- Take rejection as part of the process. If they say no, someone else will say yes.
- Keep kissing to two minutes or less. (Avoid booty calls.)
- Always leave them wanting more.
- Enjoy the journey.
Putting this all into practice:
At one of the activities we attended in September I briefly met a guy - we'll name him Bert. Last month I ran into him again at a dance and had the opportunity to talk/dance with him for a bit. After this meeting he requested me to be his friend on FB. Since then, we have exchanged a few emails (all general "getting to know you" info). He is well educated, very kind, and seems to be a great guy.
This week he attended the Dating Coach presentation. She went really long because many people had a lot of questions. Towards the end I saw Bert get up and leave - which was disappointing because I hadn't been able to talk with him before it started. However, when it ended and I headed out of the room I saw that he was still there, just waiting in the hall.
I went right up to him and said hello. We talked for a minute about our birthdays this week (ours are a day a part). I didn't want him to feel like he had to talk to me all night, so after a few minutes I started the "great talking with you" line when he said "we should go do something to celebrate both our birthdays together."
To play my "part" I gave him a direct smile and said "We should. I would love to." Then left it at that. He made a point to talk to me a couple more times that night while everyone was mingling - even offering to get me a drink.
I received an email from him about 24 hours later (what the coach said was an appropriate amount of time to wait before calling/contacting) mentioning that he had a good time, and asking additional questions about my week. He didn't say anything specific about going out - so we'll see what happens. I'll let you know...
Laverne



No comments:
Post a Comment