Sunday, June 7, 2009

My Effort

So, after collaborating with Shirley about the article's advice and agreeing that "flirting for the sake of flirting" is something to consider (and could be a lot of fun), I took my own safe route at experimenting. I passed a note. To Scott.

Before I get into details, I will state up front that I completely agree with the comment made addressing Shirley's post and initial flirting attempt. Communicating (or being the first to say something) isn't necessarily flirting. And, we really do need to find opportunity to actually DO IT. Also for the record, I will admit that our first attempts were totally lame. The 1st step in correcting something is to acknowledge the problem, right? Maybe you'll see some improvement. Eventually.

Back to the note...

I didn't want to throw all my effort into one message, so I thought I'd test the waters a bit and send an initial invite to Shirley's party coming up. Scott responded favorably and opened the communication to other topics - including a comment about the lunch I still owed him.

To avoid boring you with the exact note "conversation," let's just say I took that topic and ran with it. Besides, it was he who owed me lunch. He also has a birthday coming up, so I mentioned that I remembered and said I would take him for ice cream next time we're at the lake on the same weekend (our families both have summer places at a lake that is famous for their fruity shakes).

Not terribly edgy, I know. It's just really hard to start talking about his rippling muscles when I haven't actually seen if he still has any. The last time I saw Scott was 15 years ago. Unless you count the pics on FB.

The last part of the "conversation" surprised me. He was almost flirting back. I mentioned to him that our emails were like passing notes, just not as fun because you cannot fold and decorate them like we used to. Scott said "they're actually more like the letters we sent each other when I moved out of state." Hmm. I wasn't sure he remembered that we had done that for the short time his family had to move (this was the summer before Jr. High even started). I know...we were very young. Kind of funny that he remembered that little piece of our long ago history too. He then said that you can decorate email as long as you get creative.

I guess I'll take that as a challenge.

Laverne

No comments: