Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Jerry The Caller Date

So, we went out last night. Even though it wasn't our first official date, this felt kind of like it because we didn't get to really talk at the concert (a little loud for deep conversation) and have the usual "first date" experience. Don't get me wrong...a couple of hours jumping around and sharing sweat is always fun - just not conducive to really getting to know someone. (I know. Gross.)

This one was more typical. Casual dinner and conversation. We did stay quite a while at the restaurant and it was comfortable talking, asking more in depth questions about family, history, school, work, etc. than what had been discussed before. So - very typical.

Like Shirley, I wondered if this guy had a plan B based on how dinner went. So, after we got into his car and started driving, I wasn't sure what to expect. He drove in the very opposite direction of my home and asked what time I needed to get back. Because I have an amazing friend who made it possible not to have to rush home (thanks Shirley!), I was able to say that I was ok staying out a bit.

After considering a few options, we ended up watching a movie at my house. It was comfortable, casual, and something I haven't done with a guy in a LONG time. I'm used to Disney movies, two children, and something getting spilled. This was definitely different. He was a gentleman (even fixed a light for me), but sat really, really close. Did I mention he was a big guy? Maybe my couch was just really small.

It all ended ok - with me jumping off the couch, handing him his shoes, then quickly walking to the door and opening it. I'm really good at making things awkward. It worked. However, he just gave me one of his bear hugs and said I'll call you.

The Test: So, Shirley reminded me that in her reading it said a polite way to follow up would be to text a "thank you" the next day. I just feel a little forward always being the first to open up a conversation (remember my text which turned into the date invitation?) - almost as if I'm forcing myself on him (not, of course, in the literal sense). Since he said he'd call, shouldn't I just wait? Or, is the text just a polite thanks, and nothing more?

He's always been a good responder to text, so I threw caution (or prudence) to the wind and decided to offer the simple "thanks again" via digits. His quick reply was "It was fun. Let's do it again soon..."

Laverne

No comments: