I don't know about you, but I have been enjoying watching Shirley's recent crazy adventures - especially her online quest. I can't say I have been convinced to join, but I have definitely been entertained. It has also helped me brush up on my acting skills...so I can make that critical phone call requiring Shirley to have to run home. Fast. From the old creepy guy who was supposed to be a lot younger, and taller.
However, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for her. Online dating has definitely taught us a few things about dating in general, and introduced her to new people (just not sure we'll be inviting them to our next party). I give her a ton of credit for daring to do this and accepting a few dates just to give it a shot.
Speaking of that...
Lyle, the "Semi-blind date guy" who I thought was a telemarketer, actually called back that next week. It took him a few days to specifically ask me out (after another couple nights of texting), but he finally did.
My experience was a bit opposite of Shirley's. Lyle was actually a little more normal looking than his Facebook pic, and he had a really fun personality. Let me say up front that there was zero chemistry and that there were enough things about his work/family/situation that he is definitely someone I am not interested in dating, but I still had a fun night.
Maybe it was the really low expectations, but I was able to walk away not totally hating the night and there was no need for an "extraction call" to Shirley. He has texted me a couple of times since (even sent a nice "thank you" text later that night) so I'm not sure how to handle this. He may be someone we do consider inviting to a party...where I can play the "friend card" and let him take it from there.
I've decided I am ok with the set-ups and blind dates - more so than online profiles or party hopping. We've met some fun people at parties, but boys just don't seem to know how to do more than talk and hang out. I have enough guy friends...someone to date is where I'd prefer to spend my social time. However, I do love hanging out with Rick and Roger and am grateful they are around. And unlike my college years, I'm now more of a "quality vs. quantity" girl.
That said, my mom is considering another avenue. Did any of you see this article on CNN.com? Just giving you all a head's up. If you see my pic and profile posted on the "Date My Single Kid" website, please ignore it. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Laverne


No comments:
Post a Comment