Sunday, January 31, 2010

Blame It On the Snow That Was Finally Falling

I went to a fireside tonight with Henry. I sort of misunderstood the fireside program. I thought that he would be singing, but as it turns out his dad and step mom were actually speaking in Henry's Stake at Henry's church building and he sang one song in between.

I show up and talk to his dad again and meet his wife. Henry's mom died the same year my mom did and his dad has since remarried. She is a lovely woman and I really like his dad. They talked about their "courtship" it was endearing, cute and totally adorable. I love his dad. They are an awesome couple. His dad said some really nice things about Henry and at one point said something about wanting him to get married. Henry's whole face went bright red. I laughed and laughed. It was hilarious.

Since it was a Stake fireside, I met Henry's last four bishops, the Stake Presidency and their wives and several members of Henry's ward. One family invited us over for ice cream. Super cute couple with six kids. The question came up of how we met and Henry explained that we have several friends in common and when I ended up moving back here some of them said that we should meet. He then said that he didn't do anything about it. Then another friend told him that he should give me a call and he thought that all these people must know something. He finally called me and voila! Here were are - where ever "here" is?

I got the looks and questions tonight - totally not as awkward as it could have been. One member of the Stake Presidency asked if I was Henry's "friend". Yep. I am. then I got the how do you know each other. Another guy who was there said - they're dating that's how they know each other. I am pretty sure that my face turned red here. Good times. Still not the most awkward moment of the night. You need to keep reading for that one.

After we had ice cream with the fun family it was time to go and Henry drove me back to the church parking lot where we left one of the cars. He asked me if I was free this week - hopefully we are going out on Thursday. No. Not the awkward moment...we talked for a minute in the car and then he said that he had something for me. We get out of the car and he hands me a tin of cookies. Which are super tasty. No he did not make them.

I will add a side note here because I forgot and I because you need to wait for the awkward moment a bit longer. I made something for Henry and his dad. I wasn't sure if I should give the treat to his dad, but I knew I would give it to Henry. I tried to call a friend for advice on this matter, but no one was home tonight! Henry's dad did remember the candy that Henry gave him last time we saw each other and he mentioned it tonight, so it was the perfect opening. I gave him the treats and he taunted Henry with it saying that he would only let him smell the box I wrapped them in. I told Henry that I had a box for him in my car and so he said that I get my own box dad. We walked his parents out to their car before going to have ice cream with the family and Henry's dad said let's all go to dinner. Henry agreed only if we got to pick the restaurant.

Fast forward back to the car scene. He just gave me the cookies. We stood outside talking a bit longer. Okay - here it comes...let me also say that on the way to the fireside I was listening to my hopefully "not" theme song and I sort of talked myself into being brave. I kept thinking what if I get in an accident tonight and I never have the chance again. Also, I think I could hear my friend's voice in my head telling me that she wouldn't talk to me if I didn't get brave.

Just to recap - Henry's dad makes a marriage comment from the podium, I get the are you dating Henry question several times, ice cream with family and get asked all the usual dating questions, all awkward, but nothing like this. Henry goes to give me a hug, I hugged back. And then...I turned my head and smack - yes. I gave Henry a kiss on the cheek. Not a totally awkward thing to do, except...I had chap stick on my lips (think sort of like lip gloss chap stick) probably a little minty and left a glossy imprint. Here is the sad, sad, sad, part...I made the kissing noise. Let me repeat...I kissed him on the cheek and while I kissed him something inside of me made the kissing noise and not just a small noise but the kind that reverberated off the mountains and could have possibly started a small avalanche. Yes. I am that girl. What was I thinking? Why? Am I two? It was the kind of kiss your kids give you. After I gave him the horrible cheek kiss I said thanks for the cookies and pulled away. Henry never missed a beat he said your welcome (he did have a smile on his face) and that he would call me about Thursday. I jumped in my car and had to sit there for a minute to replay that scene again in my mind the only problem was the noise from the kiss kept echoing in my head.

The good news is I have probably entertained you and I will laugh about it - eventually. If you see me and know me, please no kissing noises. I can't take it right now.

Shirley

3 comments:

Ali said...

I heard about that avalanche!
Don't be so hard on yourself, after all those are the only kinds of kisses you've had in a while.
At least he was smiling. Maybe you have now made it easier for him. Looking forward to finding out how he kisses. ;)

Rebecca Pierce said...

LOL, LOL. I love this comment because you were brave...and nothing of any embarrassing sort will ever translate to him...all he knows is that you just kissed him on the cheek, maybe the noise made you seem a little more casual? or playful? or just comfortable? not awkward, but I would validate your horrified state...I just don't think he's horrified. GOOD JOB. I'd call, but we are under some stress here, check my facebook status for details. Just not a good time to call, my mom's here helping, etc. Anyway, you made my night. HILARIOUS!

Mimi said...

SHIRLEY!!!!

Look at you miss kissy face!! OK, so if Mr. Henry is who i think he is (and I think he is) this post is making my day!!

so what does Henry say when everyone asks these questions?? We need a DTR post ASAP!!!

I am loving this song on the Glee sond track- the whole CD is rocking my world, but the song that I think woul be a good candidate for your theme song... if it' still up for debate is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YxqFv9WNuM

disclaimer: some lyrics don't apply... but it's a cute song!

Cant wait for the post when he kisses you and makes the kissing noise- just to mess with you!!!