Christmas Eve didn't happen quite as it was supposed to. Henry wasn't able to come, he offered to come Christmas morning, but I thought that might not be a great idea. I knew Christmas morning would be chaotic, which is was.
Instead we made plans for Saturday. I offered to cook him dinner. Thankfully, the dinner went really well. Mostly. You know if I am involved somehow something is going to happen. Henry came bearing gifts. He gave me some really fun presents which were really thoughtful. I have to say that as far as presents go from guys he really did a great job.
The dinner was good, I made him help with the appetizer. We made won tons. When he went to eat the first one, it may have been filled with super hot grease and he may have gotten burned. So sad. I don't know why, but I couldn't think of anything funny, helpful or otherwise conversational to say to him after he burned himself. I just kind of stood there. He said that he was fine. I felt horrible. I apologized and we moved on. Ugh! Why can't I think of things to say. Here let me help you or can I help you. How about watch out for that first bite it's hot. Anything. Even now those are sad attempts.
Luckily for me the rest of the dinner was yummy and went off without anyone getting burned. While I was fixing the rest of dinner, Henry sat down at my piano and played. He asked if I had any song requests. One of the amazing things about Henry is every song I requested from Debbie Gibson, Milli Vanilli, The Cure, Coldplay and The Beatles he can play. He said that he plays by ear. I so envy that talent. It was fun - he's like your own personal jukebox.
After we had finished dinner, Henry received a call from his older Brother. Let's call this brother Matthew (it's getting hard keeping track of all the pseudonyms we have created for people) he has 4 brothers so they will be Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. That way it's easy for me to remember. Matthew was calling because he had tickets to a basketball game and wanted to know if Henry and I wanted to join him and their dad. Henry asked if I was okay with that. He then said that I would probably get an earful about him. I said I was okay - was he?
Henry thought it would be a good idea and a bad idea. The bad idea because he knew his family would quickly be wanting to jump to the marriage topic and good because it would stop his dad from trying to set him up on blind dates.
At the game his dad asked how Henry and I met. I explained we have mutual friends. He said how does that result in meeting? Henry said that several of our mutual friends had told Henry to give me call. They said that I was smart and beautiful and he should get to know me. Thank you kind friends! His dad said Oh, is that how it's done? Yes, dad it is Henry replied. I was then asked what do you do? I explained that I take care of my kids. His dad was super nice about it and said Henry's mom knew all about that. His brother Matthew and I talked about Japan (he lived there and my brief visit.) Meeting his family was fine, it wasn't scary, I was kind of nervous. I think that if I walk in with the mindset that it's like having a business lunch things go much smoother.
During the game, I had to use the bathroom and when I left (according to Henry, who told me later that night) knowing looks were exchanged. His dad and brother gave me the thumbs up approval and Matthew asked Henry if I was "the one". Now when Henry was telling me this I didn't know what to make of it and for some reason I didn't do a great job following up. Why didn't I ask how Henry responded when his family was asking this? I don't know. I wish I had. Probably part of it was fear and part of it was I was freezing standing outside my house. Also, I completely forgot to say thank you again for the awesome Christmas presents.
Let's move to Sunday night. Henry invited me to join him at his friend's house for games and merriment. While there Henry asked me if I knew what ATP stood for - which oddly enough I actually remembered from college. Henry then told me that if his dad knew that I knew what ATP was he would have bought a ring and proposed to me on Henry's behalf. What do these comments mean? Anything or nothing. It was pointed out to me that he could just be making conversation and can joke about these topics or the question was asked is he trying to gauge my reaction? Not really sure. Game night was fun, I like his friends.
Overall, I enjoyed meeting his family, I like his friends and I like Henry. If you were wondering, we haven't kissed, held hands and we barely touch each other. Which is frustrating, good and confusing. I don't know quite what to make of that.
Side note: Kurt gave me some advice today on how to get Henry to kiss me though. He said it's all about the hug. He showed me while we were out running. He made me practice with him (NO - not the kissing part) just the hugging. I kept laughing because I know that I will never be able to actually do this with Henry. It's kind of like my friend's advice on the lingering. It's about arm placement (around their waist), pausing, look him in the eye (just for a few seconds so as not to make them uncomfortable) and I quote "if he's not stupid he will get the point". What is the point - well, you have just given him the green light to move in for a kiss. I guess I could go the less obvious route and just dangle mistletoe. Hahaha! Either way - I have a feeling that 2009 is going to end without a kiss from Henry.
Check back just in case.
Shirley
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Ok, so I can think of a few things you could've said after Henry burned his mouth eating your wanton. How about, "Oh, let me kiss it better" for starters. Haha. Totally need to catch up about Sunday. :) (My in-laws are in town until Sunday so I can't be on the phone much, but email me the scoop. I'm dying here!
Post a Comment