Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Can I Be More Awkward?

As you may have noticed, I have a knack for saying really awkward and/or embarrassing things while on a date. If you like that kind of thing, read on. I had dinner with Henry and some of his friends tonight. The food was great - his friends are fun and I really had a good time. I really liked his friend's wife. She was great and we got along really well.

I may have mentioned that Henry has a little (well, maybe big) germ phobia. The first couple of dates we went on he showed up with hand sanitizer. Which he applied liberally before and after eating. I think it's funny. I like to tease him about it. He offered to share part of his salad with me tonight and I asked if he was sure about that. He said yes. His friend asked what that was all about? Henry explained that he has issues with germs. Part of that is he doesn't share drinks. The friend said - what about kissing that's like sharing a drink. I responded "that's why we haven't kissed."

Well...lucky for me everyone stopped talking and it felt like the entire restaurant went quiet. Sweet. I can't believe that I said that. It was so uncomfortable for me. I meant it to be funny, but I think no one knew how to respond including Henry. He kind of laughed it off, but his friend just looked shocked. Great! Everyone did recover and the subject was quickly changed.

I am laughing at myself right now as I write this. I am super cool, right? I can't believe how things just come out of my mouth. Why must I embarrass myself? Later that night I ran into a girl that knew that I was hoping to get Henry to ask me out. That's a story for another day (won't go into the details now). She said are you dating Henry. Long pause on my part. Still not sure how to respond to this question. We do go out on dates, but I don't know if we are dating. She gave me the full two thumbs up and was so excited for me. It was cute, but again I felt my face turning red. Nice. I love that feature. Red face, open mouth insert foot, no lingering at the car.

In spite of all that great awkwardness we do have plans for next week (Tuesday) and possibly this Friday or Saturday. I have to check my schedule to see what works for me. Come back to see what other fun things I have said or done. You won't be disappointed!

Shirley

1 comment:

Ali said...

Kyle and I both thought your kissing comment was funny. We would have laughed if we were there.