Friday, October 9, 2009

Finally!

I am writing this Tuesday night, but won't post until after my date Thursday. Henry finally called me back and we are going out Thursday night. I can't wait! I am so EXCITED! I think I might be a little bit smitten. Which is not necessarily a good thing. I am really nervous. I'm okay when it doesn't really matter, but when I sort of have feelings or expectations or excitement, I crash and burn. I get a little tongue tied and I usually end up embarrassing myself. Super! Hopefully it won't end up that way.

I've found a few pointers that may help. First, breathe, take slow deep cleansing breaths. Hopefully I can remember this. Second, tell yourself all the reasons why he should like you. You gotta psych yourself up and remember all the good things about yourself. Helps with the confidence, which most guys say is the best quality a girl can have. Third, remember this is just practice and if he doesn't like you someone else will. Fourth, he will probably be nervous too. I hope so. Fifth, don't monopolize the conversation - it's supposed to be like a tennis match, you can't keep the ball on your side of the net the entire evening.


I have to say that I am glad I have my friend (yes, you know who you are) for the initial introduction to Henry. I know that you will want a play by play of the night, don't worry I will be calling you with all the details. I am praying that nothing gets in the way of the date and we don't have to postpone or that I don't get rain checked, again. That's the real reason I won't be posting this until after Thursday. I somehow feel the universe will conspire against me and the date won't happen if I post today.

It actually happened...

Here goes...We met for dinner in the city. When he first saw me he gave me a hug and we started walking toward the restaurant. He turned around and said, "By the way you look amazing." *sigh* It is so nice to get compliments from guys. I am totally smiling like crazy at this point.

There was music playing in the background during dinner and he knew all the songs. He even sang a few of them. Which I found funny and endearing. We went to get ice cream after - even though it was 40 degrees outside. We ended up sitting in the lobby of the Megaplex talking. Just - talking. I really enjoyed getting to know him better. He has so many funny stories. When we finished he walked me to my car and on the way he asked if I wanted to go out again next week and if I would come to this show he is performing in if he gets me tickets (which is two weeks away). Umm. Yes please.

Here are my thoughts... This was one of my all time favorite first dates (even counting ones from my youth). Mostly because of the company, but partly because it was casual and relaxed and I wasn't as nervous as I thought I'd be. Henry is smart, articulate, funny, sweet and talented. All great qualities. I do wonder if once the shiny newness wears off if I will still think the same of him. And if he will think the same things about me. I know that it works both ways. Most of the guys that I have met or been hanging out with have either lost that shiny glow thereby turning into "just friends" or have become annoying instead of endearing and sweet. I am trying to trust myself to make good decisions, and that I will have the gift of discernment to weed out the wheat from the chaff so to speak. I have my date with Shane tonight. I know that will be fun too.

Shirley

PS - no mention of the bathroom phone call. Maybe later I will bring it up, well...who am I kidding, probably not. I think this is one of those situations where it's best to pretend it never happened.

1 comment:

Ali said...

Wahoo!!! Good sign he's asked you out two more times at once! I'm giddy for you!