Thursday, October 22, 2009

My Half-Date with Henry and Laverne

I don't know if I should count this as a real date, but tonight Laverne and I went to see Henry perform in a show. It was fun and entertaining. I loved the song he sang it was amazing that he arranged. After we waited around while he went over notes from the show with some of the directors. It got uncomfortable there for a minute while we were waiting. I can't decide if we should have just left instead of waiting. I can't fully describe the sort of embarrassment that I was feeling while standing there waiting. It's like being back in junior high again. Ugh. I hate moments like that.

We went to a restaurant and got some appetizers while Henry ate dinner. I feel like I don't have much to say when I am with Henry. He talks a lot and asks questions, but I feel tongue tied or something. It's the strangest thing. I just really enjoy being around him. I feel good when I am. He is different from many of the people I have been meeting lately. I just feel like a bad communicator when he is there. As I sat there and listened to Laverne and Henry talking, I kept thinking, why don't I have anything to contribute to this conversation? What is going on? Why am I suddenly mute?

When we were leaving Henry gave both Laverne and I a hug good-bye. He told me that I looked fantastic (I don't think I will ever get tired of hearing such nice compliments - partly because they are from Henry and partly because it's just nice to hear that). I could listen to him talk, sing and play the piano all night.

When we were on the way home, he was driving next to us and at a stoplight he jumped out of his car and gave us two CD's of music - one spiritual and one fun. Interesting mix of music. I think that the music you like gives a little insight into who you are. I don't know much of the music on the CD's but it is fun to listen to.

Also, on the drive home on the freeway, Laverne once again got the looks from the guy next to us. He kept speeding up then slowing down to check her out. She's so lucky!

Shirley

No comments: