Sunday, March 14, 2010

A Bold New World

Tonight I had a free night to myself - thank you Grandparents. I went to a friend's house that had invited me over and was hanging out with all these great single people, but I thought I would rather be hanging out with Henry. I decided why not? I could just show up at his work, right?

This is totally not a comfortable thing to do for me. It's completely out of my comfort zone. I felt a little like a tart and not the edible kind. I really don't want to be that girl, I think there is a fine line between being bold and being obnoxious. However, I called Laverne for a little pep talk. She is great with advice and said to go for it. The best thing she said was if it was him showing up to surprise you - how would you feel? I would love it. Hopefully he will too? I drove all the way out there and then panicked in the parking lot and almost turned around to go back home. I had to call Laverne again for reassurance. Then my stomach was churning and I felt kind of sick. It's now or never, right?

I got out of my car and started walking toward the door. Took a deep breath and walked on in. Too late to turn around now. Henry is not there. He was there, just not at the front. I had to go find him. He looked surprised but happy to see me. Good. Whew! He said what are you doing here? I had worked out in my mind how to answer this question. I was in the neighborhood and thought I would stop by? I got locked out of my house and needed a place to stay? I went out for a drive and ended up here?

We sat down and talked, since it's not busy at his work at night, and talked, and talked. I don't really want to go into details about the conversation - let me just say this...it was a conversation where you talk about nothing and everything and it's effortless and comfortable and funny and great and fun and everything you want it to be and nothing you don't. It was such a memorable and perfect conversation that it really felt like no time was passing.

I finally got up to leave and since neither one of us was paying attention to the clock, I wasn't sure what time is was. I got into my car and it was 4:30 a.m. WHAT??? I haven't done that before. Also, I still had an hour drive ahead of me. Henry called shortly after I left concerned that I wouldn't make it home. I told him that the kiss he gave me (which was - well...you know)totally woke me up and I would be fine. Can you believe that I said that? I am such a floozy!

I did start to fade about 10 minutes from being home. I called Henry to talk to me to keep me awake. Well...I probably could have made it, but I just really wanted to talk to him again, I cannot lie. He sang me a really cheesy song and then we just talked again. It was...perfect.

We are going to do dinner on Thursday night - my kids will be gone and I thought it would be fun to cook with him again. He wanted to go out Monday night, but it's family night. Tuesday his has this standing sports event he does and I know how much he loves going and playing ball. He said that he would rather go on a date with me. Oh, so cute. Yeah! We are finally going out with his brother, Mark and his wife this weekend so that should be fun. Check back to see how it goes.

I am still smiling, I haven't fallen a sleep once today and I usually function better on more sleep. It's going to be a good day.

Shirley

No comments: