Rick and I went to a regional mid-singles fireside on Sunday. Because Shirley was down south getting "closure" with Henry (until the next time he calls...right? I'll save that for another post) it was just us two. Even though Rick can be described as a security blanket, I was on my own and absolved of my "wing man" position - a place I comfortably hide behind.
That said, I wish Shirley could have been there. She would have been so proud. First, I sat with a guy from our institute class who before I had just spoken to a few times (Rick was on the stand helping with the program). Second, as soon as it was over, I started talking to a guy from the isle over, who introduced me to another guy (we talked for a while), who then walked me over to another group of friends...and on it goes. I kind of went from guy to guy for over an hour and a half. I talked. I smiled. I received a number of compliments (which always helps) and tried to talk about anything but work (my safe zone which puts me in business mode - which Shirley keeps telling me I need to break from in social situations). Admittedly, many were guys I knew or had met before, but there were a few new ones in the group too. It's a start, right?
At intervals through the night poor Rick would come stand by me, wonder if I was almost done, then walk off again. It ended with him finally just sitting between me and a new guy as we discussed the challenges of dating someone who lives an hour away (apparently if you live "far south" getting past the big city is too much trouble). However, before finally saying good night, the new guy did make sure he knew my last name so he could friend me on FB the next day (which he did).
I'm still trying to figure out my "flirt" mode (I don't giggle, and I like sarcasm), but I know I can do better. I had it down in college, but this stage of life just feels so different. Fortunately Shirley is very patient with me and my biggest cheerleader. I don't know what I would do without her. Even though she wasn't there physically, I could still picture her on my shoulder saying "Just go for it!"
Hopefully this New Year will bring more posts where I can say I finally started to do just that.
Hopefully this New Year will bring more posts where I can say I finally started to do just that.
Laverne


No comments:
Post a Comment