Tuesday, April 20, 2010

10 Ways to Have an Awesome Blind Date

Shirley found this great article for me as we prepare to attend a Mid-Singles Conference in Huntington Beach (yay for CA!). I have an uncle who is a Bishop in the area and has been planning to set me up with a few of his "selections" while there.

Shirley knows my Defense Mode is to quickly assume all the reasons why a guy wouldn't be interested in me, which in turn makes me already "give up" on the experience. I have to say, this is definitely some good advice and something I'm determined to try to do. Besides, I think Shirley is loosing her patience with me as well.

A summary of the article's advice is this:

1. Throw out any and all expectations.
I really like how she says not to lower your expectations, just don't have any. And for those who have seen earlier posts, you'll laugh if you read her reference to Bradly Cooper - totally applicable for me.

2. Wear something you love.
There aren't many times in the life of a single mom when you get to throw on that little black dress with some great heals. She suggests taking the opportunity during a blind date. Plus, it helps put you in a good mood. I totally agree.

3. Open your mind.
Again, I already close myself off at the beginning which makes it hard to get past initial introductions. I really need to do this.

4. Don't complain.
Not sure that this is an issue for me, but I love her advice that "if he complains, just change the subject."

5. Watch the alcohol.
I'll have to work on this one, assuming by "alcohol" she meant "Dr. Pepper."

6. Leave your insecurities at home.
Very hard for me to do. However, I love her line: "Why worry he'll be too good looking and won't think you're cute? Super hot people never go on blind dates."

7. Try something new or weird.
Why not, right?

8. Find the funny.
With a blind date, this is SO not a problem. Even if the laughing isn't during the date, there will be plenty after when describing it all in detail to Shirley. Did I mention this conference includes Speed Dating? Yes, I'm already laughing.

9. Learn more.
Again, why not? If all else fails, get to know more about his profession or hobby just to increase your cache of random knowledge.

10. Get up and do something.
An activity always helps break the ice, or gives you something to talk about.

If you have any advice to add before we take off Thursday, please throw it out! I'm trying to stay positive and learn how to handle these types of opportunities more effectively. At the very least, improve my skills and "lighten up" more about my situation.

Why not, right?


Laverne

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

Please do the speed dating and give us a thorough run-down on how it went. It looked great on Hitch.