Friday, February 19, 2010

Henry Meets the Parents

So technically I don't have parents, but they are the closest thing I have. My good friend got married last night and Henry came to the reception with me. I warned him that he would be getting the interrogated and it could be awkward. He said he wasn't worried.

When he arrived, I was talking to a friend and didn't see him and he was accosted in the doorway by one of my "dads", who talked to him for (what felt like a long time, but was really only) 10 to 15 minutes. I am still waiting to hear what questions were asked. I have to wait until later to get the feedback. I stood there wondering if I should go rescue him, but decided to let it play out. It seemed like more fun.

Then he met my other "mom" and "dad". Lucky for Henry he is used to making small talk and meeting people. They were both really nice and no awkward questions (yet). We went through the line. Where the mother of the bride asked if Henry was my husband or with me. I laughed and Henry said I am with her. Next came the bride and groom. The groom (who I know really well) said to Henry - we think Shirley is great. Thanks, groom. Then came my other "mom" and "dad". More compliments and questions. Good times. Only 30 minutes in and so much fun already.

We went and ate some dessert and he got to meet my other friends. So far, so good. We ate with one set of parents. Lots of conversation and talking and questions. Nothing too horrible and overall I think it wasn't that bad. Henry really like both sets of parents and their kids. They sent me a text message last night that said - Henry got the thumbs up from everyone. Proceed with caution and keep us in the loop. I am glad that they liked him, they want me to continue to take is slow, and when in doubt talk to them. I love that I have these people in my life.

After we went to dinner with some of his friends. It was me and 4 guys (yes!). One of the friends, let's call him Paul - asked how we knew each other since we live so far away from each other. The whole story of mutual friends came up and how Henry at first (and this is new to me) said No and didn't do anything. Then one of his friends showed him a picture of me and he said she's cute and all these people love her, ok, I need to meet her. I guess again I have to say Thanks to all the mutual friends out there. Paul then asked, "Are you guys going steady?" Hahaha! What? I haven't heard that question for a really long time. I had to ask him again what he said just to clarify. He really asked if we were going steady. I looked at Henry and he said - "Let me put it this way, I just went to a wedding reception to meet her friends, I got put under the microscope and was questioned thoroughly." One of his other friends said that is the equivalent to asking Shirley to live with him. In "Mormon" land apparently this is what guys think. If you take him to a wedding reception of someone of major importance to you and he agrees to go - it's like moving in together. I will log that for future reference. Good to know. Henry said it can't get more "steady" than that.

Good news: Henry was way more touchy he put his arm around me, held my hand, and hugged me repeatedly. It was great! His friends are fun and nice and totally silly. Which I completely enjoyed. It was a fun evening out with friends and family.

Shirley

PS: Since Laverne and I will be going on a fun trip next week, I'm not sure when Henry and I will get together again. I think that it's about time for me to plan a date - does anyone have any fun suggestions? I like to think of creative dates that are fun, interactive and different. If you have any ideas, leave a comment. Thanks!

No comments: