So, the party I mentioned earlier to celebrate Shirley's new crib took place last weekend. As anticipated, Chuck showed up, along with two other single guys from our HS class. There were many couples as well, so it was a ton of fun catching up with old friends and it created a comfortable atmosphere to get reacquainted with everyone.
It all started with me putting my best face forward. Or, at least, one without make-up surrounded by wet hair. It was totally awesome. Because I spent more time than anticipated at Shirley's prepping food and space, I had to run home, shower, then drive back quickly to get the last items set up...planning to finish getting ready at her home.
While driving (and hoping my hair gets a good start at being blown dry through the moon roof) I get a text warning from Shirley that Rick is already there. Great. Mentally I'm plotting my stealthy entrance as I pull up and notice Chuck is there now too. Really great. So I quickly open the door planning to just sneak down the hall and into her bathroom when I realize he is sitting on a chair directly facing the front door. Really, really great. He got a slight wave, then a good view of my back side.
Why in the world did 2 of the 3 single guys coming have to be the first two to the party? And on time? Really? Truly the story of my life.
Once I got to the bathroom I realized I still had some of the items needed for the table and decided what the heck - it is what it is. So, making it quick, I went out once more and tried to act ok about myself...even though my face has two of my least favorite physical features. That done, I ran back in to get ready for what I like to consider my grand entrance.
The rest of the night went really smooth with everyone having a chance to visit and catch up. As the married couples started to leave, the "singles" started to clean up...this being the 3 single guys, Shirley and myself. We considered taking off and doing something since none of us had to get right home, but ended up just talking until about 3 a.m.
To keep it casual, we decided it would be fun to do a few things as a group, and then planned something for next weekend. Chuck was just like I remember him (quiet, but very nice), Rick was similar as well (kind of mysterious - in a good way), and Roger was very surprising. He was the "man version" of the kid we knew in high school and can safely be described as "the life of the party." A fun group overall. Next week will be an adventure.
Side note: Roger and Shirley have a date tomorrow night. I'll let her fill you in on the details and her perspective after that event. Should be interesting...
Other side note: In our early morning conversation, I mentioned that Lenny and I had "hooked up." You should have seen Chuck's face when I said that. Ya. Wrong term. It was really late/early. Back peddling on that one was lots of fun. He did sit by me though.
Laverne
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment