Why the title? Keep reading - it's a wicked, wicked awesome humilating story that, unfortunately is all true...Last night, Patrick came over to play games and just hang out. Well, it got late (I think this is why my mother warned me that nothing good happens after midnight) and I was fading fast, so tired, and a little loopy for some reason. It may have been because I didn't leave my house all day and was a little stir crazy.
As we were standing at the door saying good-bye, I gave him a hug and as I was pulling away - wait for it...said...good-bye...I love you.
WHAT? I DID NOT JUST SAY THAT!!! .
Oh no! I didn't know what to do after, so instead of laughing about it and making it not a big deal and clarifying - I sort of slammed the door in his face. He looked like a deer caught in the headlights. There was a moment of sheer awkwardness when we pulled away. Again, instead of correcting right then and there (which, Patrick is the kind of guy that would totally understand) I let it marinate overnight and into the morning. I marinated in awkward, embarrassment all night long! I am totally laughing at myself today. And I know that I DO NOT love him. Nor, would I say I love you to anyone I wasn't seriously put a ring on my finger for time and all eternity dating. Since we aren't dating seriously - I can't believe that I said it. Although in my defense - haven't you ever ended a call or conversation with a friend, telemarketer, sales person what ever with I love you or accidentally called someone "honey" or "babe" or other term of endearment that you usually reserve for your husband, boyfriend, kids. I know I have - just not with the same degree of horrifying, embarrassing, uncomfortable, hilarious results!
After I woke up this morning, I honestly didn't know how to address the situation - I thought a direct phone call would be best - but I am a huge wimp! I sent a text message instead explaining that I didn't mean it and that it just sort of slipped out. I tried to explain the above saying it that I tell my kids all day long that I love them and especially every time they leave the house. Anyway...Patrick being the good sport and awesome guy he is sent a text back that said - I don't accept your explanation. Keep squirming.
All I could think was "whew!" Thankfully he got it and hopefully we can joke about it. I have a feeling that this is going to haunt me and I will be teased about this for a while. Since we haven't really had any good stories lately - I guess I'm glad I could, once again, entertain you!
Shirley
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment