Friday, July 1, 2011

Finally!

Laverne and I have been seriously slacking on updating this blog. No worries though, I am ready for a quick run-down. Hopefully, Laverne will add more when she is ready...

Let me start with the most exciting news...about Laverne. She is finally flirting with boys and she is becoming more the person I remember her being. I am thrilled and it has truly been fun watching her lately. Of course, the boys are more than ready to respond. I think they've been trying, but it took her a while to reciprocate. I'm going to let her fill you in on her life - I will say I like this new side to Laverne and I know that the boys do too!

As for me, well...I am still dating Patrick. He is growing on me. We haven't made any official declarations or anything, well...except the one I did a while ago, but I do like him and I am enjoying the time we spend together getting know each other better. He took me to meet his family a couple weeks ago, that was fun. His mom is hilarious - she may have ADD a little. His dad is adorable and seems very sweet, a little quiet, but totally nice. I like his two brothers, they remind me of my brother. His family reminds me of my family. I felt completely at ease which made the visit better. I can tell he really loves him home state - he thinks it's quite superior to all others. We went by a few of his old houses he lived in during college, walked in downtown, went to his college campus, climbed a tree (and kissed in it) and visited his grandma as well. She was so nice...she gave me some of Patrick's favorite recipes so I can make them for him.

I could tell Patrick was at ease having me there, because at one point in the visit there was discussion about needing an extra bed for an unexpected guest. Patrick, his mom, dad and I were standing in the kitchen and Patrick announces that he was willing to sacrifice and take one for the team and give up his room for the guest and he would sleep in my room with me. I have to say I was kind of horrified. His mom sort of glossed over the comment and his dad (later told Patrick) said that he liked the idea, but thought he would have gotten more of a response from his mom.

After spending three days with his family we came home, repacked and got on a plane to visit my "family". We spent six days together with my old friends. I think it was fun, but I did feel a little bad for Patrick. He got grilled and questioned and people kept asking what his intentions were. I think we both decided that we are taking things slowly. I'm not in a hurry and I know he isn't. Something I discovered about myself, which is surprising, is that I am used to being single. It is an adjustment when you have someone else to worry about. I know I used to this, but I am definitely adapted to my new life.

Again, Patrick seems at ease in all social situations we have been in. He handled all the questions like a pro and was able to show his witty sense of humor and great personality to everyone. I have gotten really positive feedback from everyone. They all gave him two enthusiastic thumbs up.  At one point, I may have misplaced the car keys. I curse the new cars that have push start buttons. It was the morning of the race and my old bishop and his 16 year old daughter (and my former primary student) car pooled with us. After having parked the car, I discovered that the key was missing. Patrick proceeded to pat me down my front and back. While the bishop stood by watching the drama unfold. I was slightly embarrassed. In his defense, he didn't touch anything he shouldn't, except maybe my bottom. When I found the keys, I really don't want to share where I found them, I was totally stressed out. Patrick has the ability to calm me down, which I really like about him. He has been good for me. We made it to the start line on time. All three of us finished the race. It was a great day. I still don't love running, but I am glad that Laverne challenges me to do things out of my comfort zone.

Laverne planned a surprise party with my old friends. She apparently has been planning for months. I can't begin to tell you how awesome this party was. All my friends together in one location, great food, cool decorations and a photo booth complete with fake moustaches, glasses, hats, picture frames, lips and lollipops. Thanks to J, R and T for all your hard work! This was one fantastic party. I loved having Patrick there and seeing my friends that I have been missing. This visit was my favorite by far. I feel like I have turned a corner in my life and I am ready for whatever happens.

A huge thank you again to Laverne and my friends that helped her surprise me in the best birthday party ever! I love you guys!

Shirley

No comments: