It all started with dropping the kids off at Grandma's house. You gotta love Grandmas.
Next we needed a moment to enjoy the silence and get a little pampering, so we went for pedicures. While relaxing in the chair (we didn't get to sit right next to each other), a guy walked by and sees Laverne in the chair, walked back/by again, then came in the door. He joked with the manicurist then said he'll get a pedicure and a manicure. He then sat down next to Laverne. In an effort to be more friendly, Laverne made eye contact. He was smitten. End of story. When we were leaving he gave a little wave to Laverne. Should she have given him her number?
(Laverne) Since he was easily in his late forties, had really hairy hands and a creepy smile, I think walking out without a second glance was the right thing to do. Did I mention he was creepy?
Next we were going to go to dinner, but decided instead just to eat something at my house. On the way home two guys in a big truck pulled up in a lane next to us and began checking us out. We were in the turning lane so when the light changed we went left - but not without giving a big wave to the boys in the truck. Yes, they were cute. And young.
So far it sounds like a good night right?
Then came the dance. I thought it started at 9 pm. Apparently they were having games before the dance started. Silly me. We showed up late but they were still playing games, so we decided to join in. I won a gift certificate to a restaurant that has an amusing story in progress, but will tell it later after it happens. Stayed tuned for that one.
(Laverne) Shirley forgot to mention the small highlight here; we both got kissed. Granted, it was because the game was kissing rugby, but you've got to take what you can get. Right?
Finally they dimmed the lights and started the music. At first there wasn't a lot of people there. It did begin to pick up. A couple of new friends came with us. They both left early. We closed it down. A guy (shall we call him Tim?) showed up and asked us to dance (I say us because he couldn't decide on one of us). He began by hovering around Laverne all night. It was like he was her shadow.
We both danced with some interesting people. One guy tried to swing dance with me. I'm still not very good, but it was fun. He asked for my number and somehow I said yes because he was charming when he asked. I still haven't perfected saying no. Politely. I need to work on that. This guy sent me a text later to ask how old I was. He is younger than I am so I don't think I will be following up with him.
Tim asked me to dance during the night. We ended up playing pool while Laverne danced with several other guys. After the dance was over, Laverne was talking to a couple of guys which we can easily call Larry and Moe. Not that they resemble the stooges, but more because I like the names. Tim and I came down to find Laverne who introduced us to Larry and Moe. We started talking and they ended up walking us to our car. On the way we ran across a drunk guy. Glad we had L&M to walk us to our car. We talked to them for a little while and they asked us to go boating. We both declined. Nice guys. Older. Different. It was late. We headed home.
Here is where - for me - it takes a strange turn. Tim texts me. He is upset that I talked to Larry. I still can't figure out why. Apparently after many texts it all comes down to this. Tim thinks that Larry is inconsiderate. When Tim brings a girl to church Larry tries to put the moves on her. I'm guessing that some girls have responded to Larry's advances. This makes Tim unhappy. He asked me who I wanted to go out with first. What? I felt as though I was stuck in Junior High. He said that he didn't want to ask me out because I hadn't given him enough encouragement. Again...what? I told him that he needed to just be more direct. Man up. I didn't think that he would text me anymore. I stopped responding. He called. We talked. He wants to go dancing next weekend. Public place. Meet him there. What do you think? Should I have just said no?
Three things I learned this weekend:
1. Dancing is fun no matter what. Laverne and I had a great time.
2. I need to learn how to say no. Politely. I will start practicing now.
3. Drama is not just for us girls. It is really annoying. Stop immediately!
(Laverne) Amen!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment