Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Nutcracker

Tonight I went to the Nutcracker with Henry. The ballet was awesome, Henry stayed awake and he wore something other than a pair of khaki cargos and black shirt. He actually did look good and I should have complimented him, but feel uncomfortable saying he looks nice. When I do things like that I think it comes out sarcastically or really awkwardly. I need to practice.

What I didn't realize was BYU was playing in their bowl game tonight. Apparently he is a fan and he totally missed it to go to the Nutcracker. He did check the score (via the iphone) during the intermission.

We planned on going to dinner after the ballet. The restaurant was right across the street, it was snowy, my shoes didn't have a lot of traction (do you see where I am going?). We were making our way across the street, I was slipping and sliding all over the place. Good thing I was holding onto Henry. There was a few close calls, but luckily he kept me up. I made a comment about being clumsy referring to the other night and the falling off of the stage. He said that I was sliding very gracefully. Which may or may not have been true.

During dinner we had a great conversation about my life and how it has changed and about our Mom's both having died. He prefaced the conversation by saying, I have a question for you, but you don't have to answer if you don't want to. He then asked me what I think I have learned. We talked quite a bit. It was pointed out that our lives aren't what you would call "typical" or "normal". Why? If I had a typical life I would still be married and he would be married with his 2.5 kids and a dog. We both agreed - thank goodness for being different.

Overall, it was a great night. I loved the ballet, the company and the conversation was exactly what I needed to feel better about this strange "dating" that we are doing. One last thing of note. I did get Henry a funny Christmas present, which he loved, he said that he had something for me, but wanted to come over on Christmas Eve to give it to me. Can I say that I am totally looking forward to Christmas Eve.

Be sure to check back.

Shirley

No comments: